Fresh from this morning’s Slashdot news feed is this:
Today Google revealed that the next major version of the Android mobile operating system will be called ‘KitKat.’ The naming convention has always used sugary snacks in alphabetical order — Jelly Bean (4.1 – 4.3) followed Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), which followed Honeycomb (3.1 – 3.2), which followed Gingerbread (2.3), and so on. Unlike the previous releases, KitKat is named after an actual product, rather than a generic treat. Thus, Google contacted Nestle, who was happy to jump on board and take advantage of the cross-marketing opportunities. According to an article at the BBC, the Android team was originally going to use ‘Key Lime Pie,’ but they decided it wasn’t familiar enough to most people. After finding some KitKat bars in the company fridge, they made the choice to switch. Nestle was on board ‘within an hour’ of hearing the idea.
Naturally, I couldn’t resist finding and posting this:
Vinnie’s Pizzeria in Brooklyn, New York seems to have some pretty amazing specials. Here’s an example:
I have to save up to visit this place.
With a public holiday yesterday, and with an old friend from Durban finally coming down to visit, I decided to take some people on a tour through the Winelands. Also joining me were my two future housemates, and a new friend of mine: a visiting master’s student from Canada (being the only non-nerd in the group).
Of course, in true nerd style (much to our non-nerd’s bemusement), we did this in the style of a World of Warcraft quest chain:
- Assemble a party of fellow questers. Your fellow party members may be found in Mowbray, Sunningdale and Gordon’s Bay.
- Journey to the Boschendal Wine Estate and acquire 1 Bottle of Fine Red Wine. Completing this quest requires 50 gold.
- Journey to Fairview and acquire 2 Cheese Platters and 1 Loaf of Freshly-Baked Bread. Completing this quest requires 100 gold.
- Prepare a Banquet of the Winelands to feed your party. A Banquet of the Winelands may only be prepared at the Afrikaanse Taalmonument. Party members that spend at least 10 minutes eating and drinking will be Well Fed and will receive the buff “Scribble Big Bang Theory Quotes on Ron’s Car” for 6 hours. (My fault for not washing it!)
I also took everyone to Nederburg and through the Huguenot Tunnel afterwards before the group disbanded. Muchness of fun.
Our Oompa-Loompas downstairs in Customer Care have figured out a way of making a bit money on the side:
- Buy packets of biltong in bulk.
- Bring packets of biltong upstairs to Development.
Development, naturally, doesn’t mind one bit.